Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Shopping at Costco

We are so grateful to have a Costco near by. But shopping in New York City is crazy. Saturday we had to go to Home Depot to pick up a few things and thought we would go next door to costco to shop. I have never seen a full parking lot like this before. Everyone knows how big costco's parking lots are, well this particular one is even bigger, which is a surprise here in New York because of the land being such a premium. Actually Costco is in neighboring city called New Rochelle. It is about 10 miles from where we live. Because we couldn't find a parking spot Doug dropped me at the front door and proceeded to drive around until someone pulled out of their spot. The place was so crowded that I couldn't even get down the first Isle because of the shopping lines waiting to check out. So knowing how Doug does not like to wait in line I turned an about face and headed back to the door to let Doug know he did not want to go in there and we would come back another day. Saturday's are not the day to go shopping in New York. Actually many stores that have parking lots with not many cars there are a surprise inside because of the ton of people in the stores. People depend so much on the busses and subway and taxis. It is deceiving to drive up to a parking lot with few cars but to find the check out lines huge.

We attempted Costco again on Monday. Still busy but this time I had a neat experience in line at the check out. We had bought Doug a pair of pants and noticed a mark on them when we got in the car. I ran into exchange them. While in line the lady infront of me asked me if I would like to go before her because I only had one item. I told her thank you that was very nice and she then looked at my name tag and and asked me if I was from a Christian Church. I told her the name of the church and she said that she was looking for a new church. She had been raised Catholic but ever since college it just didn't feel right. She had also been divorsed and in the Catholic church divorse is frown on and she can't receive communion. I told her that Christ atoned for all our sins and of course she could be forgiven and invited her to come to church. I had nothing to write on so she gave me her receipt and I gave her our name and number and the address to the church. She said she would like to come to church, she told me I was a very friendly person and had a glow about me.

What a golden opportunity. The ironic thing is that I wasn't able to re-purchase the new pants because I was using Doug's costco card with his name on it and the lady at the check out told me I had to be Doug. The lady in line, whose name is Susan Seely told me as we were walking out of the store together that it must have been meant to be, because she wanted to find a new church. So you never know, hopefully she will come to church or see some of the missionaries some where else and go and talk to them, or better yet, the Lord will put her in the path of the Missionaries in New Rochelle.


1 comment:

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

COSTCO is great - what a neat experience, I hope you see her at church!